Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and du have announced that Alcatel-Lucent has been selected to build the second phase of a high-speed 100G coherent optical transport network throughout the United Arab Emirates.
The new optical transport network will enable du to dramatically boost the speed and capacity of its existing network, and thanks to the efficiency of OTN sub-wavelength grooming, it will support the booming explosion of data traffic generated by the proliferation of mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets in the most economical way.
- du will use Alcatel-Lucent’s 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS) to address the booming demand for high-bandwidth data services such as high-definition video streaming, next-generation mobile broadband applications and cloud services.
- Network capacity and performance will be significantly boosted by taking advantage of unique Bell Labs silicon innovations to support data speeds of 100 gigabits-per-second on each of the 88 wavelengths.
- Alcatel-Lucent is supplying du with its soft decision forward error correction (SD-FEC) -based 100G coherent optical technology developed using the company’s recently introduced Photonic Service Engine (PSE), 400G chip. SD-FEC is a method that can extend the reach of 100G signals to much longer, more usable distances.
- Key 1830 PSS features, such as OTN switching and the SDH Gateway, help maximize the bandwidth utilization of 100G channels letting service providers more efficiently fill their 100G pipes
- Alcatel-Lucent’s 100G fiber optic technology supports a capacity of up to 8.8 Terabit per second – the equivalent of 1.32 million HDTV channels streamed at the same time – over a single optical fibre
- Alcatel-Lucent and du have a longstanding relationship and recently announced the selection of Alcatel-Lucent to boost converged service offerings in the UAE by deploying the latest IP-routing technology. Traffic from du’s converged high-performance IP router–based network will be transported using the 1830 PSS.