United Arab Emirates, 13 April 2009 – Websense, Inc. (NASDAQ: WBSN) today unveiled the industry’s most effective secure Web gateway for Web 2.0 content control, content filtering and threat protection on the most advanced security platform – the Websense® V10000™ secure Web gateway appliance. The Websense V10000 lets organizations use Web 2.0 sites safely to meet business goals without having to worry about security, productivity and liability threats, such as malware, inappropriate content and data loss.
Websense has embedded – at the core of its secure Web gateway appliance — the more than 1,800 advanced analytics and real-time content inspection and classification technologies from the Websense ThreatSeeker™ Network. These embedded technologies offer protection from previously-uncategorized or unknown Web content “on the fly,” including malware and Web 2.0 threats. The Websense V10000 secure Web gateway is the only solution that categorizes specific content on Web pages such as “mash ups” – not just the Web pages themselves – allowing IT managers to grant access to Web 2.0 sites while their organizations are protected from sections of sites that are inappropriate or a security risk.
The Websense V10000 secure Web gateway appliance also has unique visibility into and protection from user-generated content threats such as spam and malicious links posted as comments to social Web sites, including blogs, forums and social networking sites. Websense analyzes content posted to Web 2.0, social networking and blogger networks as it’s posted – using the recently-acquired Defensio technology – that gives Websense customers protection from risks before they propagate. Defensio, the industry’s first and only Web 2.0 early threat outbreak detection and protection system, enhances the Websense ThreatSeeker Network which continuously monitors the Internet for changes and emerging threats and feeds intelligence to Websense security solutions.
In March for example, Websense protected its customers when Websense discovered – using Defensio technology — a massive malicious comment spam campaign brewing in the blogosphere, made to coincide with the NCAA’s "March Madness" basketball tournament. In January, Websense discovered that the popular presidential social networking Web site — my.barackobama.com — hosted links to malicious content within its user-generated blogs. As a result, employees at organizations that use Websense solutions were blocked from infected pages and the company was protected from threats not picked up by traditional security solutions.
“Effective protection in today’s Web 2.0 world requires the ability to analyze Web content in real-time to recognize threats and inappropriate content ‘on the fly,’ even content never before classified,” said John McCormack, senior vice president of product development, Websense. “The Websense V10000 secure Web gateway appliance leverages our unprecedented visibility into the threat environment to deliver more effective protection from inbound threats and outbound data loss.”
Independent testing confirms** that the Websense secure Web gateway exceeds other vendors in meeting industry analyst criteria for malware protection, data loss prevention, and Web 2.0 threat detection, accuracy and effectiveness. In Web 2.0 threat detection, accuracy and effectiveness — the Websense Web Security Gateway earned a score of 98.9 percent. The two closest competitors, McAfee’s Secure Computing and Blue Coat earned 40.2 percent and 11.1 percent, respectively.
Websense V10000 Appliance Key Features and Benefits
• Secure Web Gateway — classifies dynamic Web content and identifies and protects against Web 2.0 security risks, in real time. It uses more than 1,800 analytics, including legacy antivirus, Web antivirus, reputation and more. The Websense V10000 appliance also offers integrated control for both inbound content through the Websense Web Security Gateway, and outbound communications, through integration with the leading data loss prevention solution – Websense Data Security Suite.
• Application protocol control — provides check-box management for more than 125 application protocols to reduce security risks. For example, application protocol control helps prevent spyware “phone home” conversations and other outbound threats while conserving network bandwidth and increasing overall security.
• Integrated Web proxy and cache – includes the Websense enterprise-class Web proxy and cache to inspect, optimize and control Web traffic. This removes the blind-spot of previously uncontrollable encrypted Web traffic with the native ability to inspect and manage SSL encrypted Web communications. The Websense V10000 secure Web gateway appliance helps administrators regain control of secure Web transmissions, accelerate access to the Web, consolidate hardware, and upgrade legacy and expensive proxy deployments.
• Leading price to performance ratio — provides enterprise-class performance at a fraction of the cost of competing appliances and delivers unique real-time content and security inspection technologies. This helps organizations reduce capital expenses while providing best-in-class performance and security.
• Built-in extensibility for future-proofed security– The unique architecture of the Websense V10000 includes advanced virtualization technology to deliver built-in extensibility and support for additional Websense security solutions. The platform helps customers protect their investment by enabling transparent deployment of future Websense solutions, without the need to upgrade hardware.
Support through Industry-Leading Channel Partner Program
To support its channel partners, Websense has also launched dozens of new resources and tools for channel partners to coincide with the availability of the new Websense V10000 appliance. New resources include instructor-led technical and sales training, both in-person at various locations around the world and online at Websense University, free hosted evaluations for customers and demonstration units, on-demand webcasts on the Websense partner portal, whitepapers and more.
Pricing and Availability
Pricing for the Websense V10000 appliance is $16,000 in addition to software subscription costs. Sold through the extensive global network of Websense channel partners, the Websense V10000 appliance is planned for general availability in late April. For more information, visit http://www.websense.com/V10000Appliance.